Set effective goals to guide your actions.
- Importance of goals
- They give meaning to your actions – the why
- Guides your effectiveness
- You can ask is this moving me closer to my goal?
- Provides the measurement for tracking
- Types of goals
- Generic – I want to grow my company
- Smart – I want to increase revenue by 10% in 2016
- Reach – I want to double my revenue and profits in 2016
- Setting and writing effective goals
- They must be inspirational – to everyone
- You must be clear about the outcome
- Write them in statement form that includes the outcome and the actions to get there
- We (insert outcome statement) because we (actions statement).
We maintain a steady revenue of $5 million annually with steady growth as a result of our effective marketing and exceptional customer retention.
We win 65% of all project proposals because we are the leader in our niche and focus on projects that want us.
Don’t wait to reach lofty goals to celebrate your successes.
- Goals and intentions can get us down
- Missed goals equal pain so we tend to not chase them
- We want instant gratification and when we don’t get it we quit
- We beat ourselves up for not reaching a goal
- So to avoid all this pain we just make excuses
- Focus on the actions and you can surpass any goal
- Do the tasks that will get you closer to your goal
- Take the necessary action consistently
- Reward the effort
- Cause for celebration
- We are on a journey and we must enjoy it so celebrate your actions
- Don’t wait until you reach a goal to recognize your success
- Success is doing the things you need to do every day
- Celebrate the actions/achievements of each week
- Every Friday / Saturday sit down and write out what your achievements were for the week
- Summarize all things you set out to do and completed and worked on
- Write down the effort you put in
- Then celebrate the effort
Take the time every week to perform this review and you will bust through all your goals in 2016.
It takes consistent, effective action to reach our goals.
It takes a consistent effort completing specific tasks to reach our goals.
Now that we have our route planned out we can start to create our directions.
Heading into the 4th quarter, let’s get ready to close the year out on a high note.
Success comes from consistently taking the necessary steps to move closer to your goals.
We often fail to reach our goals because we fail to consistently take the needed small steps.
Are you managing your life or is your life managing you?
Project success comes from meeting project objectives. Business success comes from meeting project goals.