Take the high road when dealing with difficult managers.
Q: What is the best way to handle a project manager that is doing a bad job?
A: First, protect yourself. Second, try to help them improve and/or let the company know.
- We run across them from time to time – those difficult people
- The PM that is a moron
- The superintendent that doesn’t know how to coordinate
- People with an ego bigger than the door
- How can we best deal with them?
- Ask, can you fire this client after this project?
- Document everything in writing
- Follow the contract to a tee
- Charge them for anything that is wrong
- No: (this makes it tougher)
- Avoid making a knee-jerk reaction and calling management (try to fix in field first)
- Document everything in writing – present your concerns in a nice manner (avoid arguments)
- This difficult person may eventually see you are there to help and change tune
- Approach management after the project is complete
- If you approach them during the project they may feel you are trying to get out of something