“Make a plan for managing your email and stop wasting time.”
Today I start by explaining why I choose to coach versus working as a consultant and then provide a couple tips to save time with your email inbox.
- Why coaching
- Coaching is about you and I working together versus consulting being me telling you what you should do
- Coaches teach their clients and help them grow
- You know what to do and how to do it you just need that someone there to help inspire you – that’s a coach
- Email – someone else’s agenda forced on you
- Let’s control the email distractions and time wastes
- Take advantage of what you email tools can do – Outlook / Gmail / Etc.
- Organize and develop a process
- My system
- All emails are sorted when they arrive and put into folders – automatic my Gmail
- When I open my email based on my schedule I start with the important folders
- I work through each folder based on priority – try to complete each at that time if less than 2 minutes – it it will take longer then I save for later
- When my email time is up I stop – come back later and pick-up where I left off
- I use multiple email addresses to make sorting and priorities easier
- This helps with my phone as well – I don’t need to check all the time – important emails give notifications
The main thing here is to get a system, have your email client sort the incoming emails into folders so you don’t get distracted when reading emails and follow your routines.
Take a look at your coaches/mentors/advisers – are they right for you
You have the Coachcast – is that enough for you? Do you need more? – get it if you need it
Automatically sort incoming email into folders
Use multiple emails to help eliminate wasted time sorting through read-later stuff